I have a vision for our front step area and it is finally coming to life! I decided to make my own flower pots to start the process, they turned out really pretty and cost less than purchasing them already put together. Not to mention it is easy to do and fun to customize the plants you put in it! When picking out the flowers and plant I tried to pick things at different heights, different flower sizes, and colors, something draping over the side, it adds interest to the pot!
Circular Flower Pots
These pots are really pretty with the herringbone pattern, we put holes in the bottom for drainage before I started putting them together.
The Potting Process
The Final Product
Rectangular Flower Pots
After completing those circular flower pots I knew my front stoop was not complete. So I moved the circular pots to the second step below and went on the hunt for long rectangular planters to put across the bluestone slabs.
I found these flower boxes and trays that fit perfectly on the slabs outside the front door, and they are super affordable! They are plastic and have pretty detailing on the sides.
The first step was to drill holes in the bottom of the trays, there were already indentations on each side of it so it made it easier to do.
Next, I added in the soil and the flower food then started to play with how I was going to arrange the flowers! I again tried to get different heights, colors, looks, etc to make it interesting!
Here are the flowers I ended up going with:
I couldn’t get a picture of the tag on this last orange one but it is called Common Lantana a species of Verbena. The flowers have mosquito repelling properties. It is highly invasive and competes with other plants for nutrients. It is also a perennial so it is probably not the best option for how I am using it! I will probably plant it in my flower garden somewhere and add in a new one to this box!
I ended up moving everything around from this photo and decided to put them in order from tallest to lowest but I am loving them and I am excited to watch them grow and expand to line my entryway! These were very easy and cost-effective DIY’s that really make a statement!